Suicide Stats & Facts
- Approximately 1,100 college students die by suicide each year.
- 8-10% of college students report serious suicidal ideations each year.
- Females are 3 to 5 times more likely to attempt suicide.
- Males are 4 to 5 times more likely to die by suicide.
Suicide Statistics: At-Risk Populations
At-Risk populations are groups of people who are at a potentially elevated risk for suicide and may have additional needs when in crisis.
- Persons with Mental Illness
- Native Americans & Alaskan Natives
- White American Males
- Asian & Pacific Islanders
- African Americans
- Latin Americans
Suicide does not discriminate based on age, race, gender, or sexual orientation.
American Association of Suicidology. (2010). U.S.A. Suicide: 2010 Official Final Data. http://www.suicidology.org/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=262&name=DLFE-636.pdf
Suicide Prevention Resource Center. http://www.sprc.org/